Thursday, August 7, 2014

Grace...

Something interesting recently happened to me. I've been sober from alcohol for a little while now. The other evening I was standing next to someone who was lighting up a fat joint. Of course, I ought to have moved away. I felt like I wanted to smoke, and had they offered it to me, I believe I might have done so. I was pretty worn out for several reasons by the end of the night and when I went to bed I had difficulty sleeping. When I awoke, I did not feel well. In fact, throughout the day, I felt pretty badly - somewhat like I felt when I was hungover from alcohol in the not-too-distant past.

I was exhausted from my physical exertions of the previous day, certainly, but I believe that my loving God allowed me to have the hangover that I would have had had I smoked that weed. He knew that desire was in my heart and his Son's own words tell me in the Bible that committing a sin in my heart is as good as doing it in real time. I also understand that I must move away from the sins that I have held on to lest they lead me right back to the very dark places the Lord has recently brought me out from and that I do not want to return to (alcohol).

"...being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." -Philippians 1:6



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...