Monday, June 23, 2014

Anxious for Nothing...


Someone once told me, "When you know who you are, they can't touch you."

 All of my life, fear and defensiveness have marked much of my interactions with others.  Just before sitting down to write this, I had to interact with a person who I have historically had a very difficult time communicating with.  After getting off the phone with her, I realized in disappointment that I had been afraid during the course of our conversation; afraid of her and of her personality. 

A sense of failure welled up in me following this familiar and unpleasant exchange.  I felt angry with myself that I had failed:  that I been afraid of her, and that I had not done a Christ-like job of overcoming my feelings of fear.  

As a child of God in Christ Jesus, I believe that the authentic realization that I am complete in Christ (Colossians 2:10), that "I have not been given a spirit of fear..." (2 Timothy 1:7) and that "...he himself is our [my] peace..." (Ephesians 2:14) releases me from bondage to fear in my human relationships even though I may sometimes feel afraid.




“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  
-Philippians 4:6-7 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beloved, if you feel fear and defensiveness and had a sense of difficulty in communication, then the failure is not yours, but the person who put these things into your heart. Relationships are not one sided, with one person being the giver and one being the taker, but they are multifaceted with both giving and taking and giving again. We give each other confidence when we see the other has none, we give pardon when it is seen lacking, we give love to cover a multitude. I would speak gentleness into your heart, that your fear would subside and be replaced instead with kindness to yourself and to this person who has failed you. But I do understand how old ways can come creeping back in to smack us in the face when we least expect it. Next time, what if you let the phone interaction be your idea and on your terms? You can lead this person with your good words..... Love, B

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...